I’m no horse racing gambler nor a fan of horse racing but this announcement on the news bulleting shocked me.
6 jockeys were suspended for their ride in the first race on Saturday 30th November 2013 in Champs de Mars. When I heard the number, I said wow. I said kudos to the other jockeys in the race who were clean in this case. But when I further learnt (correct me if I’m wrong here) that there were only 7 participants in the race : WTF!?
The names of the horse riders along with the horse name and suspension period are as follows (Information from l’express):
- Roland Boutanive (Drug Squad, 18 days)
- Mayaven Chinapiel (The Sneaker, 12 days)
- Swapneel Rama (Port Albert, 14 days)
- Rehaze Hoolash (Infinite Destiny, 14 days)
- Nishal Teeha (Manta Ridge, 12 days)
- Dinesh Sooful (Surprising Dream, 2 days + Rs 25,000 fine)
Below, a crowd of people moving in and out of Champs de Mars:
A first time in the Mauritian horse racing history!
And a shame too when you imagine the huge amount of money involved in this industry! Yes, I call it an industry. Just like the speed cameras industry