In short, Defensive driving consists of thinking about the worst thing that might happen due to drivers’ mistakes or any other unpredictable situations and how you can deal with it appropriately to reduce any risks involved.
Good drivers make errors too, human errs but there are still loads of careless drivers on our roads :
- A car suddenly turning to its right or stopping without giving any signal
- Crashing into a vehicle because signal lights were not working properly
- Door of a stationed car opening suddenly
- A stupid driver fails to comply with rules
- Loads of more examples, don’t hesitate to add them in the comments’ section!
Above are some of the situations in which the consequences can be reduced or even avoided, perhaps saving life. A few general good practices :
- Keep your intentions clear while driving.
- Always slow down at pedestrian crossings.
- Be alert, do not panic and fasten your seat belt.
- Avoid (or be very cautious while) driving behind cycles and motorcycles.
- Be visible on the road by using the appropriate lights, turning your headlights when necessary.
- Watch ahead for oncoming traffic and keep an eye on your mirrors for any vehicles around you
Lastly, in the event of an accident, try to limit damage to you, your passengers and your vehicle. There are many ways how you can do that depending on the situations. Anticipating these scenarios can keep you alive and away from small hassles with insurance companies and hospitals!
Can you share other examples and how drivers can try to avoid them?
Do not hesitate to correct me if I wrote anything wrong above. Thnks.