Rise in the prices of soft drinks… And Phoenix Beer too
As announced in the Budget 2013, a tax of 20 cents per gram of sugar is now applicable for soft drinks in retail outlets. According to the Government, this measure should discourage people from consuming these drinks which excessive amount of sugar contributes to diabetes, obesity and other health issues. As per some figures published in the press:
Coca Cola, Sprite and Sprite Zero :
- + Rs2.00 for 2L plastic bottles ( New price: Rs 48.00)
- + Rs1.45 for 1.5 L plastic bottles ( New price: Rs 39.95).
- + Rs1.00 for 1.0L glass bottles ( New price: Rs 20.00).
- No price change for the smaller glass bottles “chopines” ( Rs 12).
At the same time, Phoenix Beverages has also announced that following prices have been reviewed as a direct consequence of a rise in the production cost :
- 1 bottle of Phoenix beer will now be sold at Rs55.00 (+ Rs3 rise)
- 1 bottle of Guiness will now be sold at Rs65.00 (+Rs5 rise)
- No price change for cans (Rs35)
Do you think that an increase in the price of soft drinks will really make a difference in the fight against diabetes and other diseases? Personally, I find it as another way for the government to make easy money using a noble cause as a pretext.
As for beer, nothing chills better, whatever its price