Can we really dream of having a free wifi-coverage around the island?
On the 16th August 2011, the minister of Information and Technology announced the installation of free wifi areas around the island. These wifi hotspots will be placed around governmental buildings such as municipalities, village councils, bus terminals and even beaches!
As per the announcements made,
- The wifi antennas will offer a 1km coverage wide
- Users won’t be able to abuse the system through mass downloading.
- Investment of Rs5.2 million for the installation and Rs10,000 monthly
- 10 such areas (including 1 in Rodrigues) will be operational in December 2011 for a pilot phase of this project.
Yes, this sounds exciting to get free access to internet through your mobile, laptop or even Kindle while waiting for your turn in the hospital or while waiting for your bus. CarrotMadman6 also wrote on this topic a few days back.
Factors that will determine its success :
- Bandwidth available
- Support (Whom will we call? Orange? or some governmental call center lol)
- Coverage efficiency
- Security and privacy issues while connecting to a public network.
A few side notes : Everyone knows there’s free internet available in the labs of The University of Mauritius. It is either effing slow or not working! Everyone surely remember about the cheaper wimax powered Nomad? We are a cyber island, but yet, there’s only one company with a monopole over the internet connection. Or how instead of price going down, they just double the speed to be able to cover their costs?
Its not about boasting about the “wifi-free island”, but rather about its efficiency and effectiveness among others, else it would be like having free transport for students and our elders and hundreds of complaints registered.
What do you think?
Update (10 September 2013)
Some months earlier, I wrote another article with a list of free wifi spots in the island, including those wifi areas talked above. Unfortunately, as “promised”, these wifi zones are not 1 km wide but much less. From personal experience, the speed is satisfactory and reliable.